Chicken, shrimp and sausage paella
Easy to cook delicious paella
Write a review
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 or 5 spicy sausages, cut into small slices
- 2 chicken breasts, cut into small cubed pieces
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 pound shrimp (20-30 shrimp), deveined and peeled, with tails still on
- 8 green onions, chopped
- 1 teaspoon or 1 tablespoon sweet smoked paprika (start with 1 teaspoon and add more if desired)
- 1 teaspoon or 1 tablespoon red chili powder (depends on how spicy you want it)
- a touch of turmeric, for color
- salt and pepper
- 2 cups orzo or rice (use rice for GLUTEN FREE version)
- Heat 3 tablespoons of olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add sliced sausage, sliced chicken and cook for about 5 minutes, covered. Add chopped red bell pepper and green bell pepper, stir in with sausage and chicken, cover, and continue cooking for about 5 more minutes, on medium heat. Add shrimp and cook until shrimp just turns red. Add chopped green onions.
- Add spices (sweet smoked paprika and red chili powder), add just a touch of turmeric for color.
- Season with salt and pepper. Remove from heat and keep the skillet covered. The shrimp and green onions will continue cooking slightly when covered and off heat – without overcooking.
- Cook 2 cups of orzo or rice in a sauce pan according to package instructions. Drain, reserving a good amount of pasta/rice cooking water.
- Add drained orzo (or rice) into the skillet with shrimp, chicken and sausage. Mix everything well, so that olive oil, juices from spicy sausages, and other cooking juices and spices coat orzo or rice. Add some reserved water from cooking orzo/rice to make paella more juicy vs. dry. Keep adding more water to achieve the desired consistency of your paella – I think the juicier it is, the better. Add more salt and pepper if needed.
Home & Gadgets http://homeandgadgets.com/