Eggplant Rotolo Ragu
Delicious Rotolo Ragu
Write a review
1 hr 15 min
1 hr 15 min
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, plus extra to drizzle
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 celery stalk, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 350g veal mince
- 350g pork mince
- 1 tablespoon dried Italian herbs
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 400g can tomatoes, chopped
- 1 cup (250ml) red wine
- 2 eggplants
- 1/4 cup (20g) parmesan, grated
- 1/2 cup (120g) ricotta, crumbled
- Flat-leaf parsley, chopped, to serve
- Heat oil in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Add carrot, onion, celery and garlic, and cook for 3-4 minutes until softened. Add the mince, herbs and tomato paste, and cook, stirring, for a further 8 minutes or until browned. Add the tomatoes and wine, reduce heat to medium-low and cook, stirring occasionally, for 45 minutes or until thickened. Season.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 200C.
- Thinly slice the eggplants lengthways, discarding small outer slices, and drizzle with oil. Cook eggplant, in batches, in a frypan over medium-high heat for 1 minute each side or until slightly golden, then drain on paper towel. Cool slightly.
- Place two-thirds of the ragu in a 2L baking dish. Roll up each eggplant slice and push into the ragu to secure in place. Spoon remaining ragu mixture into the eggplant rolls and into any gaps. Top with parmesan and ricotta, and bake for 10-15 minutes until the cheese is melted and golden.
- Scatter with parsley to serve.
Home & Gadgets http://homeandgadgets.com/